Here’s another new thing we are going to be trying out at Black Sheep in the year 2016! Here’s the next Black Sheep Open Mic on Sunday, January 24th! This time we are twisiting things up and will be putting on a drag show of sorts, or “Drags Ball.” This of course is open to everybody. The idea came after a “consent group” was meeting to discuss issues of sexual predation & transphobia, etc. The idea of a drag show at Black Sheep (brought up and being organized by DF) is more that being queer/beautiful shouldn’t always revolve around some kind of defensive necessity. Let’s have fun, be ourselves, etc.
Open mic is operating as usual, with 15 minute time slots spread out throughout the night. This is open to music or anything, and we also encourage spoken word to accompany the drags ball, poetry, song, story, dance, etc about triumph, struggle, shade, the fabulous, etc. You can claim them here and we will be leaving 2-3 open to be claimed the day of the show. For the drag show there will be several different categories, feel free to sign up here (real or fake names), the facebook event, or email us firstname.lastname@example.org however you see fit.
// Vogue from 80’s GirlPop to futuristic DarkWave! Free-For-All dance party on the floor, but we’re pulling out the runway for anyone dressing to their Nines. 6 Categories will have 2-3 songs each and we’ll cap each one around 10 walkers, giving everyone roughly a minute’s worth of showing off. Having the nerve to walk at all will earn applause, but the ability to blend in as a New You and exude that Realness is the cause for occasion and respect. This has nothing to do with costumes, so please do not reduce to Cosplay “fun”.
… Runway Categories:
1. Teen Dream (Fem/Boy) – Gear up like it’s a photoshoot for GirlBeat Magazine or make Justin Beiber eat his heart out. Headbands, sneakers, bubblegum, babyfaces.
2. Banji (Fem/Boy) – When you gotta dress to reflect how much more the streets taught you than books. Leather, denim, flash, attitude.
3. Blue Collar (Boy) – For the industrial savvy mind and hard working hands. Work wear, toolbelts, uniforms, toughness.
4. Executive (Fem) – Pull out a power suit for that big presentation at the office. White collar, minimal, sleek, confidence.
5. Prince Charming (Boy) – Knights in shining evening wear, turning heads and stealing breaths. Suits, wingtips, accessorize, class.
6. Butch Queen (Fem) – Bearded ladies please apply. No holds barred.
Here we go!
7:00 – 7:15 (open)
7:15 – 7:30 (open)
7:30 – 8:00 (drag categories 1+2)
8:00 – 8:15 . Pretend I’m Not There
8:15 – 8:30 . Slacker Tapehead
8:30 – 9:00 (drag categories 3+4)
9:00 – 9:15 . Ian Winterbauer
9:15 – 9:30 . Perfect Strangers
9:30 – 10:00 (drag categories 5+6)
10:00 – 10:15 (open)
You can claim spots on the facebook event or by emailing us, or by commenting here. For this show we are asking for $3 at the door, and the event is free for those participating in the drag. Be sure to also check out our shows page for a look at what else is coming up in 2016.